HEPP2: Second Call for Papers
The Second Helsinki Conference on Emotions, Populism and Polarisation (HEPP) will take place online on 4-8 May 2021. The subtheme of the conference is ‘Mainstreaming Populism in the Era of Transnational Crises’ to reflect on the relationship between pandemia and other current and past crises with populism.
The conference is organised by the Helsinki Hub on Emotions, Populism and Polarisation, the Academy of Finland - funded projects Mainstreaming Populism in the 21st Century (MaPo) and Whirl of Knowledge: Cultural Populism in European Polarised Politics and Societies (WhiKnow), and the Kone Foundation - funded project Now Time, Us Space, with the support of the Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Helsinki. The conference will assemble a range of international researchers at all career stages, with the aim of examining populism particularly from a discursive and cultural approach. The conference encourages papers that approach the following and related themes:
• Mainstreaming populism
• Politics, populism, and social and political movements
• Radical democracy
• Subjectivity, affects, and gender
• Cultural populism
• Populism in a COVID-19 and post-pandemic world
• Political communication and media in times of crisis and polarisation
• Hybrid media and the polarisation of information
• The re-articulation and politicisation of Europe
• Populism, common grounds and communities of knowledge
• Empathy as a counter to polarisation and/or antagonism
Please note this call is open until 31 January 2021.